Help for SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM@DISCUSSIONS.SISOSTDS.ORG

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM  August 2017

SAC-SWG-ENUM August 2017

Re: EXTERNAL: Request for guidance: enumeration for SA-16 Launcher

"Marrou, Lance R." <[log in to unmask]>

SAC-SWG-ENUM <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Aug 2017 19:46:07 +0000

Kind 10 for portable weapons was first proposed in CR01944 back in 2006. The purpose of it then, however, was to remove the weapon identification from the life form schema (Kind 3). After much discussion and revision, this was ultimately rejected in favor of retaining the weapon within the life form schema, but use 2 fields for identification, and not base it on the life form country code.

The main problem with a new Kind is the fact that it's a new Kind. All software must be updated to insure it doesn't crash outright on this. Moreover, it can create havoc on the architecture by requiring a whole new class (kind) of item. In general, this isn't worth it for whatever hierarchical simplification folks think occurs. Moreover, now with all weapons fitting into two 8-bit fields, it doesn't make sense to force folks to use 64-bits. Portable weapons can easily fit within another hierarchy, whether it by Supplies, cultural features, or somewhere else, especially knowing that you will be duplicating the portable weapons. For example, just add a new domain or category to supply for "Portable Weapons" would meet the need and not cause so much effort to track (all gateways that filter have to be updated for new kinds, etc.).

I'm strongly against trying to duplicate the enumerations from the two fields to somewhere else, especially by using the country code for it.

Lance Marrou, Leidos, [log in to unmask]
12901 Science Drive, Orlando, Florida USA 32826, o: 407.243.3710