Help for SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM@DISCUSSIONS.SISOSTDS.ORG

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM  May 2018

SAC-SWG-ENUM May 2018

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Add Taiwanese Kee Lung Class

"Marrou, Lance R." <[log in to unmask]>

SAC-SWG-ENUM <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 May 2018 14:42:50 +0000

I can appreciate Flemming's comment. I had envisioned the name/description to be used in training systems directly, but I know there are a lot of excess characters in a lot of them. The action item I had created a while ago regarding consistency in hyphens or not also contributed to this concept.

However, I think we will find that different users want different text. Some probably want the 'ex' in the name, but I can realize that others might not. I know that some folks want the name to be all capital letters and super-short.

I honestly am not sure what to do about it. I would think, on the surface, that because we have transferred indicator maybe the 'ex' isn't needed. In fact, you could build the name with the 'ex' programmatically.

In summary, I'm not exactly sure of the best approach. I do, however, want to remind everyone that the primary foal is unambiguity. Whatever we do, each enumeration must be as unambiguous as possible. That goal is the primary factor for interoperability in enumerations. For all those out there creating mappings, this is another point strongly in favor of using the UUIDs to perform the mappings (not the name or numbers, both of which may change).

Lance Marrou, Leidos, [log in to unmask]
12901 Science Drive, Orlando, Florida USA 32826, o: 407.243.3710