Help for SAC-PDG-RPR Discussion Forum List

SAC-PDG-RPR Discussion Forum List

SAC-PDG-RPR Discussion Forum List

SAC-PDG-RPR@DISCUSSIONS.SISOSTDS.ORG

SAC-PDG-RPR Home

SAC-PDG-RPR Home

SAC-PDG-RPR  February 2019

SAC-PDG-RPR February 2019

Re: Analysis of the Entity Appearance and Capabilities options

Mike Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>

SAC-PDG-RPR <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Feb 2019 10:59:22 -0500

Hi, Thank you for posting this. There has clearly been a lot of thought and effort on this.

I always liked the RPR-V1 solution of using separate attributes for each field, enabling attributes to be encapsulated within the right classes. It enabled focused subscription of attributes of interest and resolved the issue of irrelevant appearance/capabilities with were provided within the ES PDU - irrespective of the entity type. I do however, see and recognize that the evolution of SISO-REF-010 means that RPR-FOM can fall behind, since REF-010 updates more frequently. Clearly there is a balance needed across a range of factors such as those you summarize on the final slide of the deck and that balance is likely to be different to different users of RPR-FOM.

For me, backwards compatibility is key and so I have a preference of adding attributes for new appearance/capabilities as this means no change to the SOM for legacy federates - I would therefore put a vote towards a RPR-2 like approach and be willing to compromise on the network bandwidth.