Help for SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM@DISCUSSIONS.SISOSTDS.ORG

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM  August 2019

SAC-SWG-ENUM August 2019

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Add floating containers

"Marrou, Lance R." <[log in to unmask]>

SAC-SWG-ENUM <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Aug 2019 13:17:15 +0000

I know Flemming answered all of this, but let me further point out that the enumeration does not provide details otherwise covered in the protocol for the entity. For example, in DIS, the position and orientation fields are separate. In no other case do we specify the orientation in 3D of any entity within the Entity Type enumeration and now is not the time to start. In fact, there's no room for such dynamic fields.

Additionally, while depending on use case, I would entertain colors and materials within the Entity Type, I think for the most part that would be part of a record within the protocol. I've created a lot of extended appearance VP records for just such use cases (applicable to DIS). But, there's no reason to attempt to impose these requirements on the Entity Type for a system that doesn't need them.

Regarding weight, we don't specify weight of anything for any other Entity Types, so I wouldn't do it here. No trailers, trucks, planes, or anything else ever has a loaded weight defined in the Entity Type for purposes of collision (or for any other purpose). I'm curious as to why you want to try to impose this requirement on Flemming's systems and not on the tens of thousands of other entities that people are already using.

"The container must float in a manner consistent with the waves."

I'm curious under what protocol guidance you think implies that the enumerations group should impose this requirement on Flemming's simulation systems? Whether his system or others properly handle waves or not is completely irrelevant to the enumerations group, unless I am misunderstanding something.

The comment regarding rolling off a ship is the only one I think reasonable, in that it would indicate that maybe this container is a Land domain, but I'm okay with these being Surface domain because we have other things like debris for the surface, where if you followed the real definition of that debris, it obviously all comes from the Land-based things (e.g., trees).

v/r
Lance

Lance Marrou, Leidos, [log in to unmask]
12901 Science Drive, Orlando, Florida USA 32826, o: 407.243.3710