Help for SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM Discussion Forum List

SAC-SWG-ENUM@DISCUSSIONS.SISOSTDS.ORG

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM Home

SAC-SWG-ENUM  January 2020

SAC-SWG-ENUM January 2020

Point / Linear / Areal Object Type to Appearance Record mapping Question

Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]>

SAC-SWG-ENUM <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jan 2020 10:58:21 -0500

Hi there,
I’m working as part of the RPR FOM 3.0 product development group and have a question regarding the Object Type and Object Appearance enumerations.

I am analysing the differences between DIS 7 and RPR FOM 2.0, in particular understanding what changes may be required in the Synthetic Environment RPR FOM module.

Which brings me on to my question, I have got a bit stuck understanding the relationship between the Object Type enumerations (section 6) and Object Appearance (section 17.11.2).

Going back in time to SISO-REF-010-2011.1, the mapping seems to be clear. For each of the object state PDU appearance records (point, linear and areal) the following was stated: “The upper 32 bits of the < Type> Object Appearance field are defined specifically for each category”. This meant that each object type category had an associated appearance record, and this was even reflected in the naming of the appearance records (E.g. Building / structure, building rubble, stationary bridge, and AVLB Appearance Record and Air burst, Ground Burst Appearance Record).

Somewhere between SISO-REF-010-2011.1 and SISO-REF-010-00v20 some new Object Type enumerations were added and the text I referenced above was removed. The Object Appearance Record names were not updated to include the newly added Object Type categories, so to me, it is not clear which appearance records belong to which record types. As an example, I am unsure which specific Object Appearance Records should be associated with Object Type categories: Rock Drop, Pump, Utility Pole, Flood etc.

I have done some digging around in the latest Enumerations and 1278.1 documents, and even tried looking through some old PCR archives, but as yet haven’t found any guidance as to how this mapping should be done now.

So therefore I am reaching out to this group: is there someone that can explain how the mapping now works please?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Gray